Thursday, June 7, 2012

Week 2 Reading Post-Art of Possibility






Week 1 Blog Post- Art of Possibility

CHAPTER 1

Everyone has a different perspective of a particular event or situation.  This chapter reminded me to think outside the box. This is a skill that all educators should have. A classroom teacher needs to be able to look at situations and in a short period of time make adjustments. This could be a conduct situation or an academic situation. Look for different ways to deliver a lesson. Look for different ways to redirect a student that is not engaged or disrupting others in the classroom.



















http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/i
mages/results.aspx?qu=box&ex=1#ai:MC900441930|



CHAPTER 2

Again with this chapter I am using the information to reflect on my classroom and how I can approve my teaching skills. Are there good students and bad students? Or do we give them that label? What are their possibilities? They are endless; I have to help them open the door to find these endless possibilities. During my time as a teacher I have met some remarkable people. These people are my mentors. They are “can-do” people and exude positive energy. Being around them or reading their books can bring me into their world of “can-do.” This is a gift to share with students they are “can-do” people. They need to be reminded of that and provided situations where they “can-do.”






http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/images/results.aspx? qu=success&ex=1&origin=HA101820576#ai:MP900449128|




CHAPTER 3

AN “A”

This was an interesting chapter. I am a teacher working at a Montessori school. We do not give grades. Progress reports indicate “capable” and “proficient.”  Middle school students want to know what grade they are receiving on their work. Rubrics have fulfilled this purpose. Rubrics give information to the student to guide them through an assignment. When the assignment is completed the score of the rubric is equivlant to a grade.

I am amazed with the class at USC giving specific grades to only certain students. Sounds like a psychology study. I am not sure how I would feel if I was one of those students.

My interest is in the class art the New England Conservatory. What a great idea to have students write letters explaining why they deserve an “A.”




http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/aba0480l.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.cartoonstock.


Chapter 4

From our earliest days, we understand that there are tasks ahead of us to accomplish and landmarks to achieve. Life often looks like an obstacle course. Zander & Zander (2000)



http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Lu5&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:enUS:official&biw=1241&bih=736&tbm

I think we move along on our path in life with the ups and downs. The choice of the method used to deal with the ups and downs makes each one of us who we are. Trying to look at life in a positive manner is very important to me.

3 comments:

  1. Melinda, I am interested in how your school rates your students. You say that you don't give grades, but let the students know if they are capable or proficient. Do you write some sort of narrative to the students to explain or meet with the parents? I think this system really has value. In the workforce we are not going to be given a letter grade. We are going to be rated on a more subjective scale that takes into account all of our efforts or lack there of. I really wish there were a way to get rid of grades and engage students at the level that the grade does not matter. I strive toward this every year. This year I did pretty well...I think it was my grad program. I would come in with some crazy new tech tool or activity and the girls would just come alive. In the end, they became less focused on the grade because I was so nonchalant about grading and wanted to make sure that they had really felt a part of the learning experience each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melinda,

    You raise several interesting thoughts in your blog… First, I was always fascinated with the ideals of a Montessori School. When shopping for my daughter’s preschool, I was eager to try a position at Montessori. To me the idea of no grades, means skipping quickly through concepts you may already now and working harder on new ones. However come in my “Mother Cohort” frowned upon the Montessori method, focusing on children falling behind due to no negative feedback as a motivator. I now imagine it a place for both… Those flying ahead of the rest and those struggling to grasp concepts that were left behind on others. I still wonder what you do in the case of grade promotion. If a student is “capable” is it possible to have a 7-year-old 8th grader or maybe a 14-year-old 3rd grade student? What do you do?

    Secondly, I also liked the quote from Zander about life looking like an obstacle course. I really appreciated their ideas on being a contribution. There is no “better than” in contributing. Leaving behind the measurement system and embracing contribution would truly be transformational. However, making such a transformation may make me uncomfortable….

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melinda -

    You are truly one of the most positive people I know. You've taken the obstacles this life has placed in front of you and hurdled them remarkably. You are certainly an inspiration to me. I think you've hit the nail on the head with the use of a rubric to fulfill the need for recognition for our work. If we know the parameters for success and have a tool to measure against, it helps our being able to reckon the outcome. I know that using a rubric will be essential for success for both students AND parents if I were to attempt eliminating a "grade" for every piece of work students complete. Definitely an investment of time to create meaningful, clear rubrics. I'd best get to work!

    ReplyDelete