Monday, June 18, 2012

Week 4 Leadership Role Model Reflection


               In 2002 the 39th President of the United States, Jimmy Carter, was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. One of the families in my class was invited by President Carter to attend the ceremony. When they returned they brought with them a case of books for our class. So I immediately read President Carter’s book, Talking Peace.  This book chronicled many of President Carter’s historical human right moments. From the Camp David Accord to his successes with improving the lives of people living in third world countries.
 I use this book every year to teach my students how to be productive citizens of the world. President Carter and his wife began the Carter Center in 1982. It is a non-profit organization with a mission to improve human rights throughout the world. The center mediates conflicts, monitors elections and improves health care globally.
               During the years that President Carter was in office were tumultuous. Many people might consider him to be less than successful. However, the Carter Center and the dedication President Carter has to the mission of the center definitely make him a person that I admire as a leader. He is a great humanitarian and a humble role model. I will continue to share President Carter’s life story with my students. As a teacher I feel it is important to help students understand that we all need to be involved citizens of the world.







 http://www.cartercenter.org/news/photos/tc-jimmy-rosalynn-carter-photo.html

No comments:

Post a Comment